The National Satellite Test Facility at Te Pūnaha Ātea Space Institute offers full end-to-end testing capability to support activities from concept
development to qualification to acceptance of hardware for space and other applications, to troubleshooting, for internal university (R&D and education) and external companies.
Our facility can handle hardware up to 50 kg and with 0.5m x 0.5m x 0.5m volume and tests compliant with relevant standards – NASA, ESA etc. (Note that heavier items can be tested, with achieved accelerations levels depending on the mass of the item)
Equipment is currently in procurement and installation, Operational in Q1 2022
- Vibration testing – Shaker & slip table combo system for standard one axis at a time testing & sate-of-the-art multi axis testing for simultaneous 3D vibration testing.
- Mechanical Shock – Resonant plate & shaker, Shock Pulse & Shock Response Spectrum
- Thermal Vacuum Testing TVAC chamber
- Vacuum Testing – Vacuum Chamber
- Thermal Testing – Thermal Chamber
- Physical properties Centre of Mass and Moment of Inertia
Development of lightweight structures and mechanisms
The requirements for space structures are very high, because space missions are extremely expensive, complex and challenging. Furthermore, any failure can have catastrophic consequences. Therefore, space structures are optimized to their extremes and undergo rigorous testing. Te Pūnaha Ātea – Space Institute experiences gained from space missions can help you in your product development. Contact us to see how we may be able to offer support.
Qualification and Quality Testing
Natural frequencies depend on little details of the structure. Therefore, the measurement of natural frequencies enables often a very fast and reliable way for qualification or quality tests. Ask our experts!